The daily chance to do a better job than the day before is what keeps me going, fighting to be a better mom. And to not let the tough parts leave such a weight on my mind. So I continue to work at being better. At putting the phone away when asked to play and not counting the minutes until we're done. And I struggle with the playing. Jason is the one who's great at playing. Funny voices, made-up songs and make believe come easily for him. I'm better at the practical side of things: making sure she eats and bathes and takes her medicine. But those aren't going to be the things she remembers as she grows up.
And I need to remember it won't always be this way. A few months ago in a church magazine I came across a quote that really stuck with me.
"One of our urgent opportunities is to respond to a
child when he earnestly asks, remembering that
they don't always ask, that they aren't always
teachable, that they won't always listen."
While typing this post I've been interrupted no less than six times. And each time I try hard to remember this quote. Some days are spent running errands and learning letters while others are spent at home trying to coax my little one to please, come on, please, just go poop. There's no official manual for this type of work. We all just muddle along doing the best we can. And somehow the spontaneous hugs and kisses remain while the tantrums are soon forgotten. The distractions will always be distractions and can wait a while longer. But she is only this age, at this moment, once. Being a mom isn't easy. But I also wouldn't want it any other way.
No comments:
Post a Comment