I've been a little MIA the last couple of weeks. Like one of my Secrets of Adulthood says - it's easy to get excited about a big project but harder to stay excited during the day to day maintenance. And that's what happened. All my good intentions flew out the window when life became a little too hectic. Being bipolar, I don't deal with stress very well. It seems to bring on either major depressive or manic episodes, or in this case, one right after the other. So I cut out blogging for a time. And since we cannot start over, all I can do is begin now to make a new ending (Zig Ziglar). So I will put the past little bit aside and begin by taking stock.
The point of this project has been to see if I could bring more happiness into my life through my resolutions. And I have noticed a change. I'm not saying there's no more room for improvement but I've been better about my priorities. I've set the phone down and played whenever Penny asks; so much so that I've gone hours without checking a single email. Unheard of, I know. We've spent more time playing, in fact, that I have yet to get more than a few pages into my newest book about finding time for everything in your life. Ironic? Very. But that's good. That's the point. Making time for things that matter while relinquishing the hold that non-essentials have on me.
And that's why my resolutions have a way to quantify them. They're measurable. I couldn't evaluate my progress without comparing it to where I started. Such as I've been exercising 6 days a week now and I am getting faster at doing a mile. I haven't been letting nagging tasks sit. Instead, I've been filling up my calendar with finished to-dos. We've had more adventures, taken more pictures and studied scriptures daily. And that's what I wanted - to do things that will bring more happiness in their doing, not just in their completion.
So, yes, I would commit to saying that I'm happier. Getting back on track with this project has been difficult but important. It's so easy to continue putting it off. But it makes me happy so that's why I do it. For me. And since it's March now, my next post should focus on my resolutions for this month. Should being the word. We'll see. Life is nothing if not unpredictable.
No comments:
Post a Comment