Sunday, February 10, 2013

do unto others

I read this essay recently from the Power of Moms website. Do Unto Others is an insightful look at asking for and accepting help. I know that, most times, my first instinct is to avoid help from others. Particularly as a mom. I want to seem confident and collected even when things are falling apart. Especially then.

Accepting help doesn't take away from your abilities as a parent. And it can be a great example to my child of how to graciously allow others to serve you. I found these two specific passages to be meaningful to my life. 

I want to be better at this. Asking for help is a hard thing but can bring such joy and fulfillment to those who offer and to those who accept. 


"I see now that it is silly not to accept a genuine offer of help. For example, when I have my hands full of diaper bags, car seat, purse (and all the other things we moms tote around), and someone asks if they can carry something, I say yes! Sure, it was all balanced and I was waddling along just fine, but why not let someone carry a bag or push the stroller?"

"If we as “super-moms” can let go of the desire to “do it all” without anyone’s help, we can become a strong, beautiful community of mothers who lean on each other, ease the mountain of to-dos, and make this journey joyful together."



No comments:

Post a Comment