Gretchen Rubin in The Happiness Project (my own resolutions guru) has what she calls her Twelve Commandments - 12 precepts underlining everything she does. In this vein I decided to come up with my own personal commandments; something to encourage and keep my focus on what is important as I struggle through my resolutions. I came up with eight.
1 - Just Be Jamie.
2 - Be adaptable.
3 - Do it now.
4 - Smile.
5 - Be generous.
6 - Count to 10.
7 - Make the time.
8 - Pray often.
Just be Jamie. I need to always be true to myself, whether it's as simple as my likes and dislikes or as complex as my emotional nature. I need to remember my own strengths and weaknesses and play towards them.
Be adaptable. I need to be flexible with things such as time. I'm such a stickler for being early but with a child that's not always possible. I prefer a routine but I need that constant whisper that being adaptable will actually help things run more smoothly. Less flexibility equals stress equals impatience equals snapping at my daughter. Adaptability is essential for my mental well-being.
Do it now. That one kind of explains itself since I've already mentioned what a procrastinator I've become. But do it now also refers to all the other commandments. It's to reinforce that now is the time to work on these principles.
Smile. This one seems easy but I still find myself going through the day with a neutrally bored expression stuck on my face. If I want to be happier sometimes just presenting that happier face to the world can make a difference.
Be generous. Generosity doesn't begin and end with money. I'm reminded to be generous with my love, my time, and my thanks. Generosity of spirit in all aspects of life.
Count to 10. I have a problem with what my daughter calls "you crankies." I'm an impatient, routine-oriented type A personality and that doesn't always lend itself to the easy-going playful Penny. Having a child means doing things on their time table which doesn't correspond to how I would prefer things to be done. Instead of losing my temper, I intend to give myself 10 long seconds in which to remember to put things in perspective.
Make the time. There are 168 hours in a week. If something is important to you, you can find the time. Get up earlier, watch less TV, multitask. If something is a priority, it's amazing what you can sacrifice and still get along just fine.
Pray often. This one is also pretty self-explanatory. When I keep my focus more on eternal perspectives instead of focusing on temporary problems, things tend to go more smoothly.
No comments:
Post a Comment