Monday, May 4, 2009

random shout-outs from another state

My brother emailed me this morning to let me know Jason and I were brought up in a couple of random conversations he had with my 4 year old nephew, Carter, over the weekend.

While trying to get Carter to put his shoes on, Chad told him to hurry up because a lot of his friends would be at the picnic they were going to. He replied by asking if Jason and I would be there.

Then last night while taking his bath, Carter was playing with some of those awesome cut out toys you stick to the wall of the shower. These ones happened to be pirate themed. The following exchange took place:

Chad: Carter, what are you looking for?
Carter: My Jamie and Jason pirates. Oh, here they are.
Chad: Jamie has a nice beard.
Carter: I know, it's kooky.

More than I love the wild randomness of these two conversations, I love the fact that he remembers us.

I moved to Utah from Arizona when Carter was just 5 months old. I was there at the hospital when he was born, crying my eyes out while staring into the nursery but then I moved and the inevitable happened. He was little and he didn't remember me. For almost three years after he was born, he would have to be reminded of who I was every time I saw him and be told by his parents that, no, I wasn't going to kidnap him and that I wasn't Stranger Danger. It broke my heart every time.

Now he's naming pirates after me?!?! I couldn't feel more loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment