Tuesday, December 2, 2008

the source of my sushi power

Last night Jason and I went out for a sushi mini-bration and something happened that has never happened before.

I had to use my fingers to eat my sushi!



It was the strangest thing. I've never had a problem using chopsticks. EVER. I can even show you the proper way to hold them. But nothing was staying put. Sometime during the 8 tries it took me to get a spicy crab roll from the plate to my mouth it hit me. Oh no, what had I done? I looked at Jason, with the shredded remains of a smoked eel hanging off the end of my chopstick -"Did I just get rid of the source of my chopstick power?"

Jason got me hooked on sushi after we were married and I have craved it ever since, becoming more and more adventurous about what I'm willing to try. I've contemplated what it would cost to move to Japan so that I could have sushi everyday. But now something was horribly wrong. I couldn't use the chopsticks except to stab ridiculously at the fish. If a rabid gunman had run into the restaurant and shouted that he would kill everyone unless I could prove I could use them properly, before Jason took him out (obviously), I would have had to let everyone there know how sorry I was that I couldn't save them.

Then the correlations started running through my sushi-induced coma brain. Our mini-bration was to celebrate having my IUD removed. Since we'd decided to start down the long road to parenthood we had to do away with the birth control. But what if, just what if, that was the source of all my power? Had I freely given up the power source to the only thing that allowed me to look like a civilized person while eating raw fish?

I now have no other choice. From now on, when sushi is involved, I'll have to use my fingers. There are only so many shirts I can stain by having soy sauce splashed down the front of them when a California roll is not constrained by my unweildly chopsticks.

And if this is the price of us bringing a child into the world, then maybe I should just give in and ask for some adult-sized bibs for Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Lucky girl! The sushi part not the chopstick...uugh...what's the word I am thinking of here....the opposite of magnetism....anyways...I think it was your body's way of saying...sorry pal....time to find a new craaving till after you have a baby. Oh how I miss sushi while prego...it stinks that it has to be an abondoned item! Im sure you will find other cravings when the day hits...for now...EAT AWAY BABY...and enjoy some...no LOTS for me!! Love the smoked salmon! MMMMM! Inari sushi is the best...and no raw fish involved...maybe you will like it! :) Congrats on the new dishwasher too! Please tell your bro, it is okay to indulge in those things before they completely die! :) I told him today that I cant wait till our washer and dryer die so that I can have front loaders...and I got the ever so "put me in my place and be thankful comment"...."Just be glad we have one!" I know...I stink! :) I just like nice things!! :)But I am gonna splurge on the bay girl bedding I found :)

    ReplyDelete