Thursday, October 23, 2008

conversations from dallas

I just received an email from my sister-in-law who was recently laid off. She and about 14 of her co-workers went into work last week and were notified that they were being let go. She was optimistic in the face of disaster and started doing all she could to obtain new employment. She had a promising interview earlier this week in which they told her she was exactly what they were looking for.

Today she was told they would be hiring internally.

Sometimes I don’t understand how businesses can function on a day to day basis. My sister-in-law is an intelligent, creative and brilliant woman with a college degree! And experience! And talent! And fantastic hair! Why is she having to look for work? Why aren’t all the businesses in Dallas running down the street after her, chasing her car like overeager puppies? How are these businesses operating without her?

All I can think to say is I’m sorry. I’m here if you want to talk. And I’d be willing to fly to Dallas to help egg any company you want.

1 comment: