Perfection. So many unhealthy thoughts come to mind when I think about being perfect. Twelve years ago, when my husband and I married, I thought I would be the perfect wife and mother. I was all set to have the perfect Instagram life even before Instagram existed.
When we got married I was bubbly, energetic, optimistic and out-going. Over the years, and in some part due to my Bipolar Disorder, I've become introverted, overly serious and even pessimistic, though I like to call it realistic.
I was striving for perfection in an imperfect world. I know that real people are never perfect but that didn't stop me from wanting it. I don't believe anyone is the same after 12 years of life experience, but I know I can do better. I can try to look on the positive side more instead of dreading and expecting the worst.
I want my home life to function a little more smoothly and I think that needs to start with me. I don't need to be perfect, just better. I think optimism will follow from there. I want to have joyfulness for myself and for my family. Things may never be perfect but that doesn't mean we can't make it work.

I wrote about the same thing. I am a perfectionist but I am trying to settle with just being good enough and that I am perfectly imperfect. :)
ReplyDeleteI liked all the images in this one. They all contained a worthwhile thing to remember. I love the line "I don't need to be perfect, just better." That's something we all need to remember.
ReplyDeleteI can really relate to your post having bipolar as well. I'm on the depressive end now and also have anxiety and have trouble going outside. I'm aiming to be better, not perfect. Even though I am far from it, my son always tells me I am the best mom in the world so I must be doing something right!
ReplyDeleteI think the state of my home wishes I was just a little bit more of a perfectionist. ;)
ReplyDeleteYou seem to understood the word "Perfectionist" better then some; it describes a trait or tendency for achievement of certain standards for oneself or others that can't be unilaterally met. I'm one. The thing that helped me was Romans 7:19 where it says, "the good that I want to do, I do not do; but I practice the very evil I do not want," really helped me let go of perfectionism and allow more grace in for myself and others.
ReplyDeleteI am currently reading A First-Rate Madness. It is a look through history at just how many great leaders have been bipolar or suffered from depression. The author's premise is that these experiences do make a person more of a realist and often a truly great leader in times of trouble. It is an interesting read.
ReplyDelete