Thursday, January 11, 2018

the struggle of Sundays

I've talked about this before, how being a mom, every day, hour, minute, can be a struggle. Luckily for me , my medications have been working and, except for a week after Christmas, things have been going well for about 8 months.

I'm doing well {knock on wood}. Well enough that I've even begun looking forward to situations I usually shy away from. I'm not 100% in every circumstance but the anxiety has gone way down. 

Except for Sundays. 

That day seems to be the exception to every anxiety rule I follow. And it mainly centers around church. It just about breaks me every week. 

On Saturday nights I give myself a pep talk; you can do this, it's only 3 hours of church! Then we get there and the panic attacks start threatening. I am certain of where it comes from and I hate to place blame but - 



It's Everett.

I know he's only three and a half and still learning how the world works around him but that first 70 minutes of time before Sunday School is like a waking nightmare. His boundless energy and independence is the exact antithesis of what is required to sit still and be reverent for that long. We've tried explaining what Sundays are all about but all he understands is that, eventually, he gets to play with his friends. So the first bit with talks and songs seems like an eternity for him. 

And us. 

I understand that it's just this stage and this too shall pass and he'll never be this age again so enjoy it, etc. 

I get it. But Sundays are supposed to be a recharging day for me and instead it just starts the week out on a misstep. 

My anxiety finally starts to calm by Sunday School but then flares again as church ends and I have to chase Everett as he runs wild around the building. By the time we get home I'm so frustrated and overwhelmed I just need space and a nap. Instead, it's time for dinner, baths and bedtime routines. All of which is a fight because his adrenaline is still up. By the time 7pm rolls around and the kids are finally in their beds, if not asleep, and I have a minute to think, it's always the same thought - 

Why are Sundays so HARD?

They're supposed to be a day of peace and contemplation. Not hard feelings, exasperation and panic attacks.

So I'm making a pledge to be better on Sundays. Me. Not Everett. He's going to be the same no matter how I feel. He's him and I can't control his emotions. But I can control mine and how I react to him. 

We're going to a different church schedule now that will begin at 9am instead of 1pm. I'm hoping that means I'll still be fresh and awake, ready for whatever Sunday wants to throw at me. Because I am in charge of my thoughts and actions. My anxiety is not my master. And each week I'll do a little better because, sometimes, a little better is all it takes.

5 comments:

  1. This is why we stopped going to church and sadly, once we fell out of the routine we haven't been back. Just take it one Sunday at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck this Sunday! It's so hard for me to "parent" in public, because I feel this need to be ON and to be on my best behavior which isn't easy when the kids are being crazy. Church just seems to amplify this but the truth is a lot of the kids are also misbehaving but we don't hear them because they aren't OUR children. Try to tell yourself that nobody else is bothered by him except you. It's probably true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 9 am sound a lot better. By 1, it's after lunch and everyone's ready for a nap. I wouldn't say it's a good time for attention and sitting still. Good luck with the new schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We never had children; Mary says I was enough. Going to the early service will mean that he hasn't been sitting around all morning waiting to go, and he might be better behaved. Well, that's the theory, anyway. In any event, I'm confident you'll find a way to be at peace, and remember, don't look to how far you have to go to be at peace on Sunday mornings, look at how far you've come. Like you said, sometimes a little bit is all it takes...

    John - The Sound of One Hand Typing

    ReplyDelete
  5. 9 am sounds like a better time for a 3yo too - but three hours of church is a LOOONG time for this cradle Catholic, so can I say I'd likely be running around with him by the end?

    That said - I think we all feel like we're under a microscope as a parent, and the quiet church setting makes it a GIANT microscope. Give yourself some grace.

    And maybe make some of those Sundays a crock pot dinner day (Prepped the night before so you dump it all in and hit the power button) so that when you come home, dinner is simmering away and you CAN get some contemplative peace?

    ReplyDelete