I'm not sure how it happened, but before I knew it, February was over and it was March. Which is fine, I just wasn't really prepared for it. It seems I can barely get the hang of a month when it's over. Oh well. New month, new resolutions. On we go.
1 - Take time to be silly. I used to be fun. I used to be adventurous and loud and obnoxious in my silliness. But then I got older and kind of forgot how fun silly can be. And Penny loves silly. So I want to remember that acting immature and childish at times doesn't mean you've lost your ability to be a responsible adult. It just means you know the value of letting yourself relax a bit and be more playful.
2 - Be delighted. Along the same lines as remembering to be silly, I want to allow myself the opportunity to see the world with wonder. I've become so cynical about life that I need to see things through child-like eyes; with awe and excitement, allowing the natural delight to shine through.
3 - Make a mess. I have a slight trouble with obsessively keeping things orderly. Okay, maybe it's not so slight. But this is a good trait. To some extent. At other times I end up following Penny around with a wet wipe trying to stem the flow of disorder that trails after toddlers. I need to allow for making a mess, for dirt and mud and disarray. Because everything washes and nothing will be ruined from letting her crack the eggs herself. And those are the kind of memories I want her to have instead of Mom constantly trying to wipe her face.
4 - Determine what I find fun. Secret of Adulthood #9 - Just because something is fun for someone else doesn't mean it is fun for you. And vice versa. I am no longer under the delusion that I have to enjoy the same popular activities as others my age. Just because I should like something doesn't mean I do. I know what I liked as a child and as a teenager but I am also aware of how often I followed the crowd when it came to interests. I'd like to determine what I find fun as an adult. It may be the same things. But figuring out what I like to do will help me spend less of my free time on the things I don't enjoy.
Do you see a theme for March? I honestly didn't notice it until I was writing this post. I guess March will consist of me trying to loosen the death grip I have on controlling everything and lightening up. I need to remember to enjoy every day and have fun since it goes so quickly. It really is true that the days are long and the years are short. So off we go. Only four resolutions this month but they may be the hardest for me to follow yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment