As I write this I can hear you in your crib growling. Not crying, not screaming. Roaring. Like a good little velociraptor. These sounds carry me through my day. I tease you and tickle and swing you upside down just to hear your laugh. I love that people three aisles over in the store can hear you squeal. You have always been vocal but you're starting to put together noises that sound like real words. Like when you say "Hi Dad" whenever Daddy says hi to you. I know it just has to be a random pairing of nonsense sounds that just happen to sound like Hi Dad. At least that's what I thought the first time. And maybe the second too. But after the fifth time - I've begun to wonder. During your bath last night you also made a respectable attempt at "duck." It sounded more like "duc" but that's OK because that 'k' is silent anyway.
We've spent a lot of time at the doctor's office this last month what with two ear infections and a third suspected. But through all the poking and prodding you still charm the socks off the doctors. They can't help but tell me how well behaved and sweet you are. I tell them I know, that I'm truly lucky. And I am. Last year at this time I was dreaming about what you'd be like. And even in my dreams you weren't as wonderful as you are in real life. Sometimes, after a long night, I miss you like you've been gone for a year, and I have to scoop you up in my arms and threaten never to let you go again.
Love,
Mama
No comments:
Post a Comment