Thursday, March 10, 2011

another brick in the wall

Over the years Valentine's Day has been pretty hit or miss for me. Usually more misses than hits.


Like that time in kindergarten when the boy everyone avoided because of his tendency to wet his pants in class made me an extra special valentine and told everyone we were going to get married. 


Miss.


Or in junior high when the school put up paper hearts all around school with every student's name on them and you had to search yours out to see if anyone special took it. And I found mine with a maxi pad stuck to it. 


Miss.


But then there's the time when Jason sent me tulips at work and called me his girlfriend for the very first time. 


Definitely a hit. 


Or two years ago where I found out I was pregnant. On Valentine's Day. 


Again, a hit.


But this year was a little trickier to discern. Hit or miss? It definitely didn't involve a miss but I cringe to think of it as a hit. I'll let you decide. 


Jason had to work on Valentine's Day so I was going with a friend to the mall, trying to avoid that long stretch of time where Penny doesn't want to nap but also doesn't want to be not cranky. I had a few minutes before I was supposed to be at the meeting place so I thought I'd get the car washed. There was already someone ahead of me in the automatic wash lane so I was waiting patiently, thinking how apropos it was that a cop was in front of me since I would be spending the day without mine. Then my friend called to say she was already at the mall. OK, no big deal. I'd gone this long without a car wash. I'd do it another time. With someone already in front of me and a drive that opens right onto the open road, I decided to do a three-point turn so I wasn't backing out into traffic. Problem was, I didn't notice how close to the brick wall I was. And once I'd pulled into it, there was no other choice but to reverse. 







The cacophony of screeching and rattling as my right headlight hit the pavement brought me to the attention of the car wash owner, who just happened to be there, and the officer, who the owner flagged down. I'd already called Jason before I even got out of the car. I didn't think I could handle looking at the damage without him there. I checked on Penny, who was fine since we were only going about 3 mph when the wall jumped in front of me and I got out of the car to talk to the spectators. 


Luckily the officer knew Jason well and the owner could see I hadn't damaged his wall. Jason got there and I just fell into his arms crying because that's what I do when I don't know what else to do. The owner was a little disconcerted by this until he realized who I'd meant when I said I'd called my husband. No accident reports were filed and I was sent on my way since the car was definitely still drivable. So off to the mall I went, still in tears because this was my very first accident. I made Jason come have a cupcake with me since it was the only way I was going to feel better about having run into a wall. 


I'm just glad it hadn't involved another car and that our insurance rates didn't go up. It's been a few weeks and the car has been mended beautifully. Except for how shiny the new headlight is, you wouldn't know there had been a problem. 


So as far Valentine's Days go, not the best but definitely not the worst. Is there a middle ground between hit and miss?

1 comment:

  1. Definitely a "hit." Life is full of mishaps, but not everyone has a cupcake afterwards, or a husband who knows the accident is no big deal. Roses are nice, but real romance is someone taking the car in to be fixed, and handling the insurance, because of love.

    ReplyDelete