Wednesday, February 18, 2009

....and then there were two

Some days, I have no business being at work. Some days I'm so out of it - tired, stressed, bored, what have you - that I am absolutely worthless. Like today. I have spent at least three hours out of eight playing Speedy Bubbles. That doesn't include the hour I took for lunch.

At the end of last year, Administration moved one of the other secretaries to another division, leaving me with only one other. Two is fine. I like two. Especially since the one that left was chronically grouchy. But when she left, she also left behind all the work she did. Or rather, hadn't been doing. The first month of 2009 was filled with questions about why I was so behind and why I never talked to anyone anymore. Maybe it was because they wouldn't have been able to hear me over the Eiffel Tower of paperwork all over my desk. Now I've finally gotten the hang of doing her job and mine and I'm doing them better than she was doing her one.

But such efficiency has it's drawbacks. Because I am so organized and thorough, I am frequently left with nothing to do but look busy. This has the potential to get me in trouble. I've learned to covertly surf the web or play online Yahtzee. Most of the time this is enough to keep me busy.

If I don't keep busy, I become tempted to write diatribes against my boss on this blog. And that, my friends, is something I swore I would never do. I swore I would not dedicate whole posts to the way Administration tries my patience. I said I would never tell stories of how my boss calls us to his office for an "important meeting" then continues to listen to voice mails on speakerphone for HALF AN HOUR. I warned myself that I couldn't rant about how time consuming, irritating and self-involved the boss can be. I couldn't possibly tell the interwebs that.....right?

No comments:

Post a Comment