I try not to think of exercising as a chore but, really, it always ends up feeling that way. Clean the bathrooms, put on a load of laundry, do the dishes, exercise. All require effort and intention to complete. At least exercise offers me that same rush of a job well done that the other chores elicit. Over the years I've kept up with all the latest tips and trick that exercising gurus recommend for getting off the couch and working out. None have affected me so much as these two pieces of advice I came across recently:
1 - Never go two days in a row without working out.
2 - Always exercise on Monday.
If you make the excuse and don't exercise one day, you absolutely must the next day. Taking a day off is fine once in a while but it will become that much easier to ignore it altogether if you keep missing. By never missing two days in a row you'll find it less demanding to fall into a rhythm.
Mondays set the tone for the rest of the week. There seems to be a strange correlation between Mondays and beginning projects. If I'm trying to do something every day but miss a Monday, my first instinct is to just call it quits and start fresh next week. Like dieting. I never want to start dieting on a Wednesday even though there's absolutely no reason to not. So instead of changing my very nature I just strive to not slack off at the beginning of the week.
Those are really good tips. Exercising is such a chore for me and I don't do it on Sundays, so if I skip Mondays too I feel like I should just give up. It's really easy to give in to laziness, but that's my big weakness.
ReplyDelete