Thursday, August 11, 2011

summer fun

This summer has just been chocked full of fun-ness. Besides San Diego, we have a trip planned to Yellowstone with some very good friends and Penny had her first ever swim lessons.

Swim lessons have been something that I was very excited to do for Penny. As a parent, I don't want her to be afraid of the water but, being so young, she also needs a healthy respect for it. And respect is almost impossible to guarantee when dealing with a 21 month old. But I thought it was time to at least start.

Spanish Fork City luckily offered a Mommy & Me class for kids under 4 years old. We took the class for 2 weeks and, honestly, didn't really learn much. I thought the kids would be a little closer to Penny's age instead of the age limit. Because most of the kids were at least a year older, the teachers played to their strengths, such as being able to listen and actually take instructions. There were only 2 or 3 kids under two so mostly we just focused on getting our babies to lay on their backs or stomachs and kick their legs. Penny was very enthusiastic when it came to kicking and less so when it came to using her arms like shovels to scoop the water. So even though the class wasn't totally geared towards us, we made the best of it, playing in the water as much as we could and enjoying the sun. I think by next summer, she'll be as much of a water baby as I was. 



Our next big summer adventure takes us to Yellowstone National Park. We'll be there for a long weekend, giving us enough time to enjoy the sights but not get tired of looking at trees and rocks. We're going with a couple of very good friends who have a son a few months younger than Penny so we'll all have someone to play with. I can't wait to try out some new photo techniques I've learned on the gorgeous scenery up there. I hope to come home with some great pictures. And maybe a moose. If I can fit him in the trunk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment