Wednesday, October 21, 2009

39 weeks

Have you ever seen the Monsterpiece Theater skit on Sesame Street entitled "The 39 Stairs"? I've linked to it in case it's been a while since you've watched it. Other than Jason, I don't know anyone out there who actively searches on You Tube for old Sesame Street favorites. This one was always a favorite of mine because Grover is just so absurd. He makes it for me. The whole thing revolves around counting (to 39, obviously) and on the effort it takes for Grover to get to the top. And it's quite an effort, let me tell you. Grover never does anything by half-sies.

For the last month I've felt like Grover on those stairs. Apropos, there being 39 stairs and me finally at 39 weeks, right? That's right, I'm drawing parallels.

At stair #10 Grover stops and proclaims - "I know there will be something exciting awaiting me at the top!"

10 or so more stairs later - "There BETTER be something exciting at the top!"

I'm at the top. All I can see is that damned brick wall and I'm having a very hard time resisting the urge to be impatient. Impatient and whiny. And hormonal. Impatient, whiny and hormonal. Three things not conducive to a harmonious pregnancy. The tears threaten each time I think - Who the hell decided that 40 weeks equals 9 months? Can't they multiply? 4 times 9 is 36! Didn't they watch Sesame Street?

I just have to keep reminding myself that Grover was right- there will be something VERY exciting at the top of the stairs. It's just that mine have one extra step.

1 comment:

  1. You are almost there!!! Try and get as much sleep as you can this week and enjoy feeling the movement inside. Even though you can hold and snuggle them, you miss (or at least I did) feeling them inside you. Good luck and let me know once it happens. I would love to bring you guys dinner.

    ReplyDelete