Thursday, August 28, 2008

baby blues

“It’s a girl!”

For the last 6 weeks or so I’ve been waiting to hear what my brother and sister-in-law would be having. Let it be a boy, a boy, let it be a boy became my inner mantra anytime the pregnancy was discussed. Please let it be a boy was my plea.

They already have 3 boys. One more would fit right in, I thought, all because sometime after I got married I decided I should be the one to have the first girl. Between my brother and I (there being only the two of us) I’m the baby and the only girl. It was clear. I should undeniably have dibs on being the first to accomplish this feat, right? Of course! The first girl would be mine! {insert maniacal laughter here}

The email saying that the newest addition to the den of testosterone would be a girl came unexpectedly. My breath caught somewhere between my feet and throat. I was dizzy. Three little words. It’s a girl.

And suddenly, it didn’t matter. The jealousy and misplaced ownership disappeared. All I could think of was the day their second son was born. And how I sobbed like a child while looking at him, all pink and wrinkled, through the glass of the nursery. Nurses actually asked if I was OK. Yes, I was. More than OK. He belonged to us.

Now she will too.

Welcome to the family. I’m the crazy one.

1 comment:

  1. ..BUT...you will always be your mom and dad's little girl...and when YOU have a baby....there is just something different when it is your own daughter's baby. Your parents are SOOO GOOD to us and to our boys... but, I cannot even fathom the spoiling when the little ones come pouring into YOUR family!! Their little girl will have had a baby...and that is just the most special thing! :) XOXOX And you never know...I still think of cousing Debbie...all her ultrasounds showed a girl and she had a boy this summer!! I'm still considering the possibility!! :)

    ReplyDelete